December 7, 2013 8:29:58 PM
Two Starkville Electric Department employees are recovering after a severe electrical accident Friday morning, SED General Manager Terry Kemp said Saturday.
SED employees Larry Brown and Floyd Bell were injured about 10 a.m. Friday when a live power line carrying about 7,200 volts touched Brown's head, severely injuring his limbs. Bell was also burned in the incident.
The two were injured while performing maintenance on a transformer located near Sand Road. Both were transported to OCH for treatment. Bell was subsequently released from the hospital, Kemp said, but Brown was transferred to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. From there, he was transferred to the burn center in Brandon, Kemp said.
Surgeons performed a preliminary operation on Brown's hand, Kemp said, and officials remain guarded yet optimistic about his recovery.
"With injuries like this, you never really know the extent of the damage and the ability for recovery until sometime after the accident occurs. I do know some amount of rehabilitation will likely be needed," Kemp said. "Safety is so important to us, and I know the guys do everything they can to be safe. Things like that can happen in a split second."
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY