December 10, 2013 9:43:38 AM
JACKSON -- The Mississippi Bicentennial Celebration Commission will unveil its plans for the state's 200th anniversary on Tuesday.
The event is scheduled for Tuesday at the Old Capitol Museum in Jackson.
Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves, House Speaker Philip Gunn, Mississippi Department of Archives and History executive director H.T. Holmes and Mississippi tourism director Malcolm White are scheduled to speak.
Holmes says in a news release that event will provide an overview for plans for the 2017 statehood anniversary. He says specific plans for the actual celebration will evolve and unfold in the years ahead.
Holmes says most significant bricks and mortar project the state is undertaking to mark the bicentennial is construction of the Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY