December 13, 2013 9:30:53 AM
PARIS -- For aspiring art collectors everywhere, there is hope.
Sotheby's Paris is giving away a $1 million masterpiece by Pablo Picasso for just 100 euros ($138) in an unusually affordable charity raffle Wednesday.
The 1914 work "Man in the Opera Hat," which features vivid shapes in opaque gouache paint, dates from the Spanish master's cubist period.
Raffle tickets -- limited to 50,000 -- have been available online since April.
The International Association for the Safeguard of Tyr owns the Picasso, and hopes to raise $6.9 million to protect the ancient Lebanese city of Tyr, a UNESCO heritage site.
The painter's grandson, Olivier Picasso, said in a statement that his grandfather, who died in 1973, would have been "amused to participate in an event like this."
1. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. House built by and for freed slaves for sale in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Two arrested for child endangerment in marijuana bust COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Second Baptist deacons to release offering to trustees, finance committee STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Person shot in home invasion on Tabernacle Road COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY