December 17, 2013 10:38:09 AM
The son of the Noxubee County Sheriff was arrested Monday for possession of cocaine.
Akem Olajuwon Grassaree, 25, of Macon, was arrested by agents with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department Narcotics Division after they discovered a felony amount of cocaine and a misdemeanor amount of marijuana in his possession, according to authorities. Grassaree is the son of Noxubee County Sheriff Terry Grassaree.
Akem Grassaree was driving his 2003 white Toyota Sequoya on Highway 45 South Monday morning when he was pulled over by a Lowndes County deputy for not having a tag on his vehicle. Grassaree gave the deputy consent to search the SUV and approximately one gram of powdered cocaine was discovered on the driver's side and under the driver's seat. A misdemeanor amount of marijuana was also discovered. According to officials with the narcotics division, Grassaree claimed the drugs were his.
The suspect's brother, Roman Grassaree, was also in the vehicle at the time of the incident, according to authorities.
Grassaree was arrested on scene by narcotics agents and transported to the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
He received a $5,000 bond for possession of cocaine and a $1,370 bond for possession of marijuana inside a vehicle. Grassaree also had several outstanding warrants.
He bonded out Monday afternoon.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Motorcycle wreck claims Lowndes man COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY