December 18, 2013 10:00:40 AM
PASCAGOULA -- Jackson County has awarded a $27.6 million contract to Montgomery, Ala.-based Caddell Construction to build a new jail in Pascagoula.
The new site is next to the location of the current jail.
The 752-bed jail will be expandable, as the design includes shell space for another 60 beds.
Caddell has 440 days to complete the work.
Architect Chris Lunsford tells The Mississippi Press that the contract includes drainage improvements, lightening protection, a large sewage grinder and some furniture, fixtures and equipment not in earlier calls for bids.
This is the second time to jail project went to bid. Caddell was the low bidder in July with a bid of $27.11 million.
Those construction bids were tossed out, however, when supervisors fired architect The Goldberg Group and re-started the process.
1. Columbus mayoral race gets ugly COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life in prison for capital murder of Lowndes teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ceco property sold to investment group COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. E-911 workers get ultimatum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Young gets 50 years for 2015 gas station shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY