December 18, 2013 10:00:51 AM
VERNON, Ala. -- The Vernon City Council sold a firetruck and adjusted city recycling pickup times for the holidays during its meeting Monday.
In its last meeting of 2013, the council accepted a bid of more than $900 from Bobby Crossley for a 1980 model pumper that had been declared salvage by the Vernon Fire Department. At a previous meeting, the council had accepted a voted to accept a different bid but the deadline to pick up the vehicle passed, Mayor Glenn Crawford said.
In other business, the board voted to change recycling pick-up dates from Dec. 25 to Dec. 23 and Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. City Hall will be closed Dec. 24-25 and Jan. 1. The council will next meet on Jan. 6.
The council voted unanimously to participate in a sales tax-free shopping weekend from Feb. 21-23, 2014. Items that aid in preparation or cleanup of severe weather, like batteries and generators, will be exempt from sales tax.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS