December 19, 2013 9:37:38 AM
COLUMBIA -- A Lumberton woman has been charged with murder after a burned infant was recovered.
Sasha Stokes, 26, was arrested Tuesday in Marion County after officials found the burned body of an infant in a barrel. Marion County Sheriff Berkley Hall says deputies went to a house just south of Columbia after receiving a call. There, forensic technicians worked to recover remains and evidence from a rusty metal barrel that appeared to be used for burning trash.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says the infant was Stokes' child. He couldn't say if it was a girl or a boy or when it was born. The remains have been brought to Jackson for an autopsy.
Stokes is being held at the Marion Walthall Correctional Facility in Columbia.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY