December 19, 2013 9:37:38 AM
COLUMBIA -- A Lumberton woman has been charged with murder after a burned infant was recovered.
Sasha Stokes, 26, was arrested Tuesday in Marion County after officials found the burned body of an infant in a barrel. Marion County Sheriff Berkley Hall says deputies went to a house just south of Columbia after receiving a call. There, forensic technicians worked to recover remains and evidence from a rusty metal barrel that appeared to be used for burning trash.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says the infant was Stokes' child. He couldn't say if it was a girl or a boy or when it was born. The remains have been brought to Jackson for an autopsy.
Stokes is being held at the Marion Walthall Correctional Facility in Columbia.
1. Public wants inclusion in Starkville's comprehensive planning process STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Judge: Closed council gatherings in Columbus broke Open Meetings Act COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man sentenced to 5 years after Lowndes Co. DUI COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU fans travel in large numbers to SEC tourney STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes grand larceny, burglary arrests COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY