December 19, 2013 9:37:38 AM
COLUMBIA -- A Lumberton woman has been charged with murder after a burned infant was recovered.
Sasha Stokes, 26, was arrested Tuesday in Marion County after officials found the burned body of an infant in a barrel. Marion County Sheriff Berkley Hall says deputies went to a house just south of Columbia after receiving a call. There, forensic technicians worked to recover remains and evidence from a rusty metal barrel that appeared to be used for burning trash.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says the infant was Stokes' child. He couldn't say if it was a girl or a boy or when it was born. The remains have been brought to Jackson for an autopsy.
Stokes is being held at the Marion Walthall Correctional Facility in Columbia.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY