December 19, 2013 9:37:38 AM
COLUMBIA -- A Lumberton woman has been charged with murder after a burned infant was recovered.
Sasha Stokes, 26, was arrested Tuesday in Marion County after officials found the burned body of an infant in a barrel. Marion County Sheriff Berkley Hall says deputies went to a house just south of Columbia after receiving a call. There, forensic technicians worked to recover remains and evidence from a rusty metal barrel that appeared to be used for burning trash.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says the infant was Stokes' child. He couldn't say if it was a girl or a boy or when it was born. The remains have been brought to Jackson for an autopsy.
Stokes is being held at the Marion Walthall Correctional Facility in Columbia.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus police nab one suspect, search for another in Saturday armed robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY