Community members stand together during the playing of taps during a candlelight vigil, Wednesday, held in honor of Tupelo policeman Kevin Gale Stauffer, who was shot and killed earlier in the week after responding to a bank robbery.
Photo by: AP Photo/The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, Lauren Wood
December 26, 2013 9:13:37 AM
TUPELO -- Tupelo residents have held a candlelight vigil to honor a police officer who died and a second officer who was wounded in a shootout with bank robbers.
Cpl. Kevin Gale Stauffer died from gunshot wounds Monday at age 38. He is scheduled to be buried Friday. The vigil was held Wednesday evening.
The second officer who was shot is 27-year-old Joseph Maher, who remained hospitalized at North Mississippi Medical Center.
The robbers are still at large. On Tuesday, police released surveillance footage from a convenience store showing an unidentified man whom they said they want to interview.
Businesses and governments are offering a $162,500 reward for information related to the shootings and the robbery of a BancorpSouth bank.
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD names suspect in Jack's incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two arrested in weekend robbery, car chase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY