December 27, 2013 8:44:39 AM
ABERDEEN -- The city of Aberdeen will begin publishing the names of people owing the largest past-due fines and fees to the city.
Originally, the city was going to go back and list the names of every late fine from the past decade but aldermen opted to just do the larger ones initially.
City attorney Dudley Williams says once the list is made public, those on it will be given an amnesty period to settle up. If that passes without payment, they will then be subject to a court hearing.
Williams says the board of aldermen's action puts consequences on those who fail to pay within the amnesty period.
Williams says he expects the policy to bring in revenue.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY