December 27, 2013 8:44:39 AM
ABERDEEN -- The city of Aberdeen will begin publishing the names of people owing the largest past-due fines and fees to the city.
Originally, the city was going to go back and list the names of every late fine from the past decade but aldermen opted to just do the larger ones initially.
City attorney Dudley Williams says once the list is made public, those on it will be given an amnesty period to settle up. If that passes without payment, they will then be subject to a court hearing.
Williams says the board of aldermen's action puts consequences on those who fail to pay within the amnesty period.
Williams says he expects the policy to bring in revenue.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY