December 27, 2013 8:44:39 AM
ABERDEEN -- The city of Aberdeen will begin publishing the names of people owing the largest past-due fines and fees to the city.
Originally, the city was going to go back and list the names of every late fine from the past decade but aldermen opted to just do the larger ones initially.
City attorney Dudley Williams says once the list is made public, those on it will be given an amnesty period to settle up. If that passes without payment, they will then be subject to a court hearing.
Williams says the board of aldermen's action puts consequences on those who fail to pay within the amnesty period.
Williams says he expects the policy to bring in revenue.
1. Mary Kay grant comes in nick of time for Safe Haven COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Welty Gala: Toobin touches on Supreme Court, Trump tweets and journalism COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus woman jailed on forgery charge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dist. 38 candidates face off in forum STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Living life in pink STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY