December 27, 2013 8:44:39 AM
ABERDEEN -- The city of Aberdeen will begin publishing the names of people owing the largest past-due fines and fees to the city.
Originally, the city was going to go back and list the names of every late fine from the past decade but aldermen opted to just do the larger ones initially.
City attorney Dudley Williams says once the list is made public, those on it will be given an amnesty period to settle up. If that passes without payment, they will then be subject to a court hearing.
Williams says the board of aldermen's action puts consequences on those who fail to pay within the amnesty period.
Williams says he expects the policy to bring in revenue.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. First Vote: A Dispatch special series COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY