December 31, 2013 10:56:55 AM
HONOLULU -- It doesn't matter that they belong to President Barack Obama -- first family dogs Bo and Sunny had to go through Hawaii's strict quarantine procedures to travel to the islands for their holiday vacation.
Hawaii is rabies free and all incoming dogs have to jump through several hoops, including an expensive rabies blood test. Dogs that don't meet regulations can be quarantined up to 120 days.
Program Manager Isaac Maeda of Hawaii's Rabies Quarantine Branch said Monday that the Obamas complied with all requirements asked of other pet owners.
The only difference: Maeda says a military veterinarian inspected the dogs and their paperwork on arrival at Hickam Air Force Base early Dec. 21. Other pet owners usually go through a quarantine office at Honolulu International Airport.
1. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Luckett resigning from SOCSD school board STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY