January 12, 2014 1:39:25 AM
BRANDON -- Rankin County deputies have seized several plastic bags of tobacco, a dozen cellphones with phone chargers and other items and arrested four people accused of trying to toss the items over a fence at Central Mississippi Correctional Facility.
Charged with conspiracy to introduce contraband into a correctional facility are Nikita Davis, Antonio Conner, Jeremy Nelson and Yakeyla Rogers, all of Quitman. They are being held in the county jail pending an initial court appearance.
Davis is currently under the supervision of the Mississippi Department of Corrections for non-residential burglary. He was convicted in 2013 and was given four years' probation.
Corrections officials say about a mile of netting is being installed around CMCF to prevent items from being thrown over the fence.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Skull identified as missing son of former Columbus police chief COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY