Tom Raybon exits the small building that caught fire on the golf course at Lion Hills on Friday. Photo by: Micah Green/Dispatch Staff
January 18, 2014 10:56:02 PM
A blowtorch started a fire at Lion Hills Golf Club Friday morning.
Debby Gard, vice president of Lion Hills, said Donald Smith Pump Company out of Shannon was tending to the pump house when a blowtorch flame got too close to a plant.
"They were cutting a bolt with a torch the fire got in the reeds," Gard said. "That's all. It's just the exterior of the building. It's easily fixed. And my beautiful little reeds are scorched, but other than that everything is fine."
Gard said the fire began around 11:30 a.m. She added that Columbus Fire and Rescue responded within minutes and the fire was quickly extinguished.
The pump house handles the irrigation for the golf course across the street from the club.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man pleads guilty to robbing railroad worker COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY