Pictured on Jan. 18 is a 29.6 carat blue diamond that was recovered at the Cullinan Diamond Mine near Pretoria, South Africa. Photo by: AP Photo/Philip Mostert - Petra Diamonds
January 23, 2014 10:45:13 AM
JOHANNESBURG -- A mining company says it has found a rare blue diamond in South Africa.
Petra Diamonds says the 29.6-carat diamond came from the Cullinan mine, source of some of the world's most famous diamonds. Cullinan lies near Pretoria, the South African capital.
Petra Diamonds said in a statement Tuesday that the diamond is a vivid blue with extraordinary tone and clarity, and could yield a polished stone of great value.
The Cullinan mine yielded the 530-carat Star of Africa blue diamond that is part of the British crown jewels.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY