January 29, 2014 9:40:41 AM
JACKSON -- Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood says his office is investigating a trend of inappropriate postings about young girls on a social media website.
Hood says his office has received numerous complaints about false accounts being created on the photo sharing site Instagram. He says people have been posting pictures of girls and making derogatory comments, sometimes naming their schools. He says most of the problems are in central Mississippi.
Investigators in the attorney general's cybercrime unit have identified some males believed to be responsible for the postings, and some cases are being handled in youth court. Hood says attorneys and investigators are discussing the complaints with teachers, counselors and administrators.
Hood says he's talking to youth court judges to see if Mississippi needs new laws against such online behavior.
1. Columbus brothers charged with manufacturing marijuana COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus native set for Miss America pageant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Starkville Parks' finances reaches 'critical' situation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. MUW enrollment hits highest point in decade-plus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. New Hope High getting new field house COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY