January 31, 2014 10:21:55 AM
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- Beyonce is one of the world's most scrutinized pop stars, and now that study is moving to academia.
The Department of Women's and Gender Studies at Rutgers University is offering a course called "Politicizing Beyonce."
Kevin Allred, a doctoral student who is teaching the class, tells the university's online news site that he is using Beyonce's career as a way to explore American race, gender and sexual politics.
The class supplements an analysis of Beyonce's videos and lyrics with readings from black feminists. Allred says he's seeking to help students think more critically about media consumption.
Rutgers also has a class examining the theology of Bruce Springsteen's lyrics.
Georgetown University has a class called "The Sociology of Hip-Hop: The Urban Theodicy of Jay-Z," focusing on Beyonce's rapper husband.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two sessions planned on proposed tax increases COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY