February 14, 2014 10:43:09 AM
GULFPORT -- A Mississippi jury has found a 71-year-old Texas minister guilty of possession with intent to distribute 200 pounds of marijuana.
Harrison County Judge Larry Bourgeois sentenced the Rev. Henry Jackson Parker Jr., of Houston, to 20 years in prison after the verdict was returned late Wednesday night. The judge suspended 10 years, leaving 10 years to serve.
District Attorney Joel Smith tells The Sun Herald the jury heard testimony that a deputy sheriff found the pot in cattle-feed bags in the trunk of Parker's vehicle in a traffic stop Sept. 18, 2010. The car was eastbound on Interstate 10 when a deputy stopped it on a careless driving violation.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mullen receives pay bump, extension STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Historic Friendship Cemetery is still open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY