February 14, 2014 10:43:09 AM
GULFPORT -- A Mississippi jury has found a 71-year-old Texas minister guilty of possession with intent to distribute 200 pounds of marijuana.
Harrison County Judge Larry Bourgeois sentenced the Rev. Henry Jackson Parker Jr., of Houston, to 20 years in prison after the verdict was returned late Wednesday night. The judge suspended 10 years, leaving 10 years to serve.
District Attorney Joel Smith tells The Sun Herald the jury heard testimony that a deputy sheriff found the pot in cattle-feed bags in the trunk of Parker's vehicle in a traffic stop Sept. 18, 2010. The car was eastbound on Interstate 10 when a deputy stopped it on a careless driving violation.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY