February 18, 2014 9:48:58 AM
AMORY -- Ole Miss football player Channing Ward has pleaded guilty to a DUI charge.
The 21-year-old from Aberdeen entered the plea to charges of DUI other substance and no proof of liability insurance during a hearing last week. Mississippi Highway Patrol arrested Ward Jan. 19.
The Daily Journal reports Ward was fined $1,234.50 for the DUI and ordered to attend the Mississippi Alcohol Safety Education Program in order to regain his driver's license. He also must attend a Victim Impact Panel class.
He also was fined $216.50 for the no proof of insurance charge after later providing proof.
Ward, a rising junior, played in 12 games last season for the Rebels at defensive end and on special teams. He recorded 21 tackles and 1.5 tackles-for-loss.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY