February 19, 2014 10:22:34 AM
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Valley Authority board of directors has selected Alabama attorney Joe Ritch to serve as its next chairman.
Ritch was elected at the board's meeting in Chattanooga on Thursday.
According to the TVA, Ritch is an attorney at Sirote & Permutt in Huntsville, Ala., where he has worked since 1982. Ritch also serves as chairman of the Tennessee Valley Base Realignment and Closures Committee. He is co-chairman of the Tennessee Valley Growth Coordination Group and serves on several other boards.
Ritch replaces Bill Sansom, of Knoxville, whose term ends on May 18. When Ritch takes over, he will be the first Alabamian to serve as TVA chairman.
TVA is the nation's largest public utility, serving about 9 million people in seven southeastern states.
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY