February 19, 2014 10:22:34 AM
JACKSON -- The Mississippi Department of Transportation has launched a new voice recognition travel information service for residents and travelers across the state.
MDOT says by dialing 511, motorists will access to free, 24-hour information on weather-related road conditions, construction sites, travel times and other traffic information for all interstates and select U.S. and state highways.
MDOT officials say in a news release Tuesday that "Mississippi 511" uses an interactive voice response system with speech recognition as its primary interface with callers, allowing for hands free operation.
Officials say travelers can receive personalized travel information by creating a user account at MDOTtraffic.com and defining their route.
Officials say the system is a resource for evacuations and other emergencies.
Currently, Mississippi 511 is not available to Verizon customers.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS