February 20, 2014 10:03:56 AM
The Lowndes County Sheriff's Department has arrested a suspected car thief after a dangerous chase through the county Friday.
Mario Shoundell Harrison Jr., 18, of 1903 5th Ave. North, was arrested at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle early Saturday.
Authorities believe Harrison stole a white Mercedes early Friday, according to scanner traffic. The vehicle was later spotted by officers with the Columbus Police Department and a short chase ensued before Harrison fled to the county and wrecked the luxury vehicle, flipping at least once, on Yorkville Road near New Hope CME Church. Emergency personnel responded to the scene and Harrison was transported to BMH-GT via ambulance where he was treated and released into the custody of the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department.
Harrison was arrested and charged with felony taking of a motor vehicle and received a $10,000 bond. He is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center. A court date has not yet been set.
The weekend incident occurred just two days after Harrison was released from the LCADC on a misdemeanor contempt of court charge. The misdemeanor stemmed from a youth court violation and Harrison was taken into custody on Feb. 6. Judge Beverly Franklin released Harrison into the custody of his mother on Feb. 12.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY