February 21, 2014 11:25:31 AM
Runners participating in the annual Market Street Festival 5K can expect this year's event to be a bit more colorful. The event is scheduled for May 3.
The Splash of Color run will begin at Moore's Creek Road and travel along the Riverwalk. According to Main Street Columbus Director Barbara Bigelow, runners will be splashed with bursts of color as they run along the route. The "color" is a blend of non-toxic cornstarch.
Bigelow said the run is a fun way to combine exercise and Market Street Festival.
"We just wanted to add a new feature to Market Street Festival," Bigelow said. "We're trying to step up Market Street and everything that we do. We know color runs are a real popular event and people will love it."
Bigelow added that by making the 5K a color run, she hopes it will be a more family friendly attraction.
"It will make the run more family friendly," she said. "People seem to really enjoy color runs so we just wanted to make it more fun for everybody and step it up a bit."
Registration before April 26 is $20. The registration fee increases to $25 after April 26. Students and military receive a $5 discount. The first 100 people to sign up will get a free Splash of Color Run T-shirt. Runners are encouraged to wear white during the event.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY