February 26, 2014 10:09:49 AM
A Columbus teen was arrested Tuesday morning and charged with burglary of a home.
Ontario Nicholson, 19, of 607 Emerald Dr. was arrested after he ran from police after he was seen attempting to break into an East Columbus home, according to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department.
Officers were dispatched to 212 McHall Dr. in reference to a burglary alarm. When the officers arrived, they saw Nicholson and another teen attempting to break in the home. Both young men fled on foot, leading the officers on a foot chase, according to Key.
Nicholson was apprehended and arrested on scene. He was charged with burglary of a dwelling and received a bond of $5,000. He is still in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center. He does not have any prior arrests in Lowndes County.
Nicholson's alleged accomplice managed to escape. The incident is still under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. West Point man arrested for firing shots outside Falcon Field during game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Starkville weighing e-cigarette ban STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD hopes more positive interactions will build trust between officers, citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire displaces families in Brooksville Gardens STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CMSD Monday meeting to focus on special ed COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY