March 1, 2014 10:25:48 PM
LEXINGTON -- Workers at a Mississippi funeral home say they found a man alive and kicking when they opened a body bag.
Holmes County Coroner Dexter Howard calls it a miracle that 78-year-old Walter Williams is alive.
The coroner was called to Williams' home in Lexington, a community north of Jackson, where family members believed he had died.
Howard says Williams had no pulse and was pronounced dead Wednesday at 9 p.m.
Early Thursday, workers at Porter and Sons Funeral Home were preparing to embalm Williams when he started to kick in the body bag.
Family members were called and Williams was taken to a hospital. Howard says he believes Williams' pacemaker stopped working, then started again.
Family members say Williams, a farmer, told them he's happy to be alive.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY