March 4, 2014 9:58:43 AM
A janitor at Mississippi University for Women has been arrested and charged with molesting a child for lustful purposes.
Napoleon Lee Stevenson, 50, of 501 23rd Street South, was arrested at MUW Thursday by investigators with the Columbus Police Department.
According to CPD Investigations Secretary Latasha Key, Stevenson is accused of touching a female under the age of 16.
The victim's family filed a report with the CPD on Feb. 24. The alleged incident occurred two to three weeks earlier, Key said. Key would not say how Stevenson knew the victim or how many times the alleged incident occurred. She did say that the victim did not undergo a rape kit.
Stevenson has been arrested seven times since 2002 with arrests ranging from cocaine possession to disorderly conduct.
Stevenson bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center shortly after his arrest. His court date is set for May 15. MUW officials confirmed Monday that Stevenson has been placed on administrative leave.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bond revoked again for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Pride parade reconsideration prospects grim STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators trying to ID owner of gun found at Columbus Middle School COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two men vying for CMSD board vacancy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY