March 4, 2014 9:58:43 AM
A janitor at Mississippi University for Women has been arrested and charged with molesting a child for lustful purposes.
Napoleon Lee Stevenson, 50, of 501 23rd Street South, was arrested at MUW Thursday by investigators with the Columbus Police Department.
According to CPD Investigations Secretary Latasha Key, Stevenson is accused of touching a female under the age of 16.
The victim's family filed a report with the CPD on Feb. 24. The alleged incident occurred two to three weeks earlier, Key said. Key would not say how Stevenson knew the victim or how many times the alleged incident occurred. She did say that the victim did not undergo a rape kit.
Stevenson has been arrested seven times since 2002 with arrests ranging from cocaine possession to disorderly conduct.
Stevenson bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center shortly after his arrest. His court date is set for May 15. MUW officials confirmed Monday that Stevenson has been placed on administrative leave.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Skull identified as missing son of former Columbus police chief COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY