March 4, 2014 9:58:43 AM
A janitor at Mississippi University for Women has been arrested and charged with molesting a child for lustful purposes.
Napoleon Lee Stevenson, 50, of 501 23rd Street South, was arrested at MUW Thursday by investigators with the Columbus Police Department.
According to CPD Investigations Secretary Latasha Key, Stevenson is accused of touching a female under the age of 16.
The victim's family filed a report with the CPD on Feb. 24. The alleged incident occurred two to three weeks earlier, Key said. Key would not say how Stevenson knew the victim or how many times the alleged incident occurred. She did say that the victim did not undergo a rape kit.
Stevenson has been arrested seven times since 2002 with arrests ranging from cocaine possession to disorderly conduct.
Stevenson bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center shortly after his arrest. His court date is set for May 15. MUW officials confirmed Monday that Stevenson has been placed on administrative leave.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Habitat for Humanity provides home for beloved CHS manager COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Shots fired at Columbus Sprint Mart COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY