March 6, 2014 9:45:03 AM
A Columbus man was arrested and charged with aggravated assault for an incident that occurred last month at a local gas station.
A woman was driving on Highway 45 when she pulled into the Kroger parking lot to fill up her car at the gas pump. While she was talking on her cell phone, a white male, later identified as 52-year-old John Gentile, of 3915 Military Rd. pulled up next to her in a gray Ford truck. Gentile then "displayed a knife toward the victim in a threatening way," according to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department.
After Gentile brandished the knife, he "rammed" the back of the woman's vehicle with his truck. The woman called 911 and Gentile fled the scene, according to Key.
Key would not say whether the incident was related to road rage. Gentile and the alleged victim did not know each other.
After an investigation by the CPD, Gentile was arrested Tuesday and charged with aggravated assault. He received a bond of $3,500. His court date is set for May 15.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY