March 6, 2014 9:45:03 AM
A Columbus man was arrested and charged with aggravated assault for an incident that occurred last month at a local gas station.
A woman was driving on Highway 45 when she pulled into the Kroger parking lot to fill up her car at the gas pump. While she was talking on her cell phone, a white male, later identified as 52-year-old John Gentile, of 3915 Military Rd. pulled up next to her in a gray Ford truck. Gentile then "displayed a knife toward the victim in a threatening way," according to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department.
After Gentile brandished the knife, he "rammed" the back of the woman's vehicle with his truck. The woman called 911 and Gentile fled the scene, according to Key.
Key would not say whether the incident was related to road rage. Gentile and the alleged victim did not know each other.
After an investigation by the CPD, Gentile was arrested Tuesday and charged with aggravated assault. He received a bond of $3,500. His court date is set for May 15.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus police nab one suspect, search for another in Saturday armed robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY