March 6, 2014 9:45:03 AM
A Columbus man was arrested and charged with aggravated assault for an incident that occurred last month at a local gas station.
A woman was driving on Highway 45 when she pulled into the Kroger parking lot to fill up her car at the gas pump. While she was talking on her cell phone, a white male, later identified as 52-year-old John Gentile, of 3915 Military Rd. pulled up next to her in a gray Ford truck. Gentile then "displayed a knife toward the victim in a threatening way," according to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department.
After Gentile brandished the knife, he "rammed" the back of the woman's vehicle with his truck. The woman called 911 and Gentile fled the scene, according to Key.
Key would not say whether the incident was related to road rage. Gentile and the alleged victim did not know each other.
After an investigation by the CPD, Gentile was arrested Tuesday and charged with aggravated assault. He received a bond of $3,500. His court date is set for May 15.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Skull identified as missing son of former Columbus police chief COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police searching for suspect in death of Starkville woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY