March 7, 2014 11:11:55 AM
JACKSON -- A Mississippi man convicted in the death of a Dutch cyclist has died in a federal prison hospital in North Carolina.
Chris Burke, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Prison, says Wendell G. Blount died Wednesday in the prison hospital in Butner, N.C. Burke says it appears Blount died of natural causes but an autopsy is pending.
Blount's death was first reported by WTVA-TV in Tupelo. Federal prosecutors say Blount was high on morphine when his vehicle struck and killed Esther Hageman, of Leiden, Netherlands, on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Hageman was a journalist for one of the Netherlands' major newspapers, Trouw.
Blount was convicted of manslaughter in 2010. He was serving a 10-year sentence at the time of his death.
1. Steens woman dies in Lowndes Co. wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes Co. child dies after weekend crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Is Cracker Barrel coming to Columbus? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD introduces after school program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD invests $2M in district's athletic facilities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY