March 9, 2014 12:08:38 AM
MOSS POINT -- A 12-year-old junior high school student in Moss Point has died from injuries suffered in a fight.
Moss Point Superintendent Maggie Griffin identifies the victim as Lorel Malone. He was a seventh grader at Magnolia Middle School.
Officials did not release the grade, age or name of the other student involved in Thursday's fight.
Griffin says the investigation is ongoing. She offered no details on the altercation.
Moss Point School District spokeswoman Stephanie Packer says in a news release that the altercation between two students occurred during a class change.
Griffin says Malone was taken to Singing River Hospital and then transferred to the University of South Alabama Children's & Women's Hospital in Mobile where he died.
1. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man pleads guilty to robbing railroad worker COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Superintendent candidates see great potential in SOCSD STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY