March 9, 2014 12:08:38 AM
MOSS POINT -- A 12-year-old junior high school student in Moss Point has died from injuries suffered in a fight.
Moss Point Superintendent Maggie Griffin identifies the victim as Lorel Malone. He was a seventh grader at Magnolia Middle School.
Officials did not release the grade, age or name of the other student involved in Thursday's fight.
Griffin says the investigation is ongoing. She offered no details on the altercation.
Moss Point School District spokeswoman Stephanie Packer says in a news release that the altercation between two students occurred during a class change.
Griffin says Malone was taken to Singing River Hospital and then transferred to the University of South Alabama Children's & Women's Hospital in Mobile where he died.
1. Police release more details on cold case murder arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Defendant shows up to court high COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Having a voice: Tyler Edmonds seeks compensation from Mississippi for three years he spent in prison COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cold case arrest brings closure to family COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man accused of stealing meat from Sunflower found not guilty COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY