March 9, 2014 12:08:38 AM
MOSS POINT -- A 12-year-old junior high school student in Moss Point has died from injuries suffered in a fight.
Moss Point Superintendent Maggie Griffin identifies the victim as Lorel Malone. He was a seventh grader at Magnolia Middle School.
Officials did not release the grade, age or name of the other student involved in Thursday's fight.
Griffin says the investigation is ongoing. She offered no details on the altercation.
Moss Point School District spokeswoman Stephanie Packer says in a news release that the altercation between two students occurred during a class change.
Griffin says Malone was taken to Singing River Hospital and then transferred to the University of South Alabama Children's & Women's Hospital in Mobile where he died.
1. Starkville moms embark on project that looks through the lens of autism STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CPD investigates northside shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY