March 9, 2014 12:09:06 AM
One man was killed and another was arrested after a Friday shooting at University Hills Mobile Home Park.
Christopher Houston, 35, of Linley Lane, was pronounced dead at 9:51 p.m. at OCH Regional Medical Center, Oktibbeha County Assistant Coroner Billy Miller said. An autopsy was scheduled for Saturday, but it is believed a single gunshot wound killed Houston.
Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department Commander Brett Watson said Immanuel Manning, aka "Papoose," 42, no address given, was arrested about four hours after the shooting and charged with murder.
Details on the incident were scarce at press time because investigators had traveled outside of the county Saturday, but it is believed Manning was detained in Rankin County since Watson and Sheriff Steve Gladney said a Pearl police officer assisted in the arrest. He is currently in custody in Oktibbeha County.
The incident occurred about 8:45 p.m. Friday, and deputies, county firefighters and medical responders were dispatched to the scene about 9 p.m. Information provided by Watson and Gladney puts Manning's arrest between 11:30 p.m. and almost 1 a.m.
It is not known what led to the shooting. The investigation is still ongoing. Additional arrests could be made, Watson said.
It is believed Manning will have an initial appearance before a judge next week, where a bond could then be set.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY