March 19, 2014 9:50:53 AM
A Columbus man has been arrested after a game warden said he observed the man molesting a child at a state park.
Charles Phelps, 60, of 210 Fountain Drive, was arrested Monday by investigators with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department and charged with sexual battery.
According to investigators, a game warden saw Phelps molesting a young girl at the Luxapalila State Park Saturday.
The game warden told investigators he saw Phelps with his hands down the girl's pants, law enforcement officials said.
Phelps was arrested at his home Monday afternoon. Investigators said Phelps is a family friend of the child's mother.
Phelps is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center awaiting bond.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY