October 6, 2009 5:02:00 PM
Two recent deaths in Starkville were not the result of foul play, police said Monday.
Starkville police officers and detectives were dispatched to 305 B Old West Point Road on Oct. 2 for a death investigation call. Officers found the body of Peter Herring, 57, at the scene, Starkville police said in a release.
The results of Herring''s autopsy show natural causes as the reason for death and the investigation is closed, police said.
Later on Oct. 2, officers and detectives were dispatched to 100 West Main Street #9 for another death investigation call. Officers found the body of Glenda Porter, 55, at the scene.
Autopsy results on Porter show accidental as the reason for death due to a smoldering mattress fire, caused by a dropped cigarette, police said. The investigation is closed.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Motorcycle wreck claims Lowndes man COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY