October 7, 2009 10:04:00 AM
A Columbus store owner may have avoided getting robbed by a man wielding an ax by hitting the panic button.
On Saturday, an officer was dispatched to King''s Grocery, at 1702 MLK Drive, in reference to a panic alarm. Once on scene, the officers realized it was an armed robbery.
The store owner said a black male went into the store with an ax. The store owner hit the panic button. The black male left the store before officers arrived on scene.
The following other incidents were reported by the CPD:
Cases have been turned over to the CPD Criminal Investigations Division.
14/88 commented at 10/9/2009 7:22:00 AM:
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY