March 24, 2014 10:26:30 AM
JACKSON -- Sean "Diddy" Combs is adding his support those seeking a union at Nissan Motor Co.
Combs endorsed the effort by video at a free pro-union concert by rapper Common Friday night at Jackson State University.
The UAW is trying to organize the 5,200-worker Canton plant. Employees have yet to file a petition for a union election.
In the meantime, the union is trying to push the Japanese automaker to campaign among workers inside the plant without company interference. Nissan, which opposes a union, has refused and says it's not violating worker rights.
A number of outside groups have joined the union's push, casting it as a civil rights issue.
The UAW lost a vote at a Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., even after the company tacitly supported the union.
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected shooter's family says lover's quarrel led to incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mayor, city employee raises rescinded COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY