March 24, 2014 10:26:30 AM
JACKSON -- Sean "Diddy" Combs is adding his support those seeking a union at Nissan Motor Co.
Combs endorsed the effort by video at a free pro-union concert by rapper Common Friday night at Jackson State University.
The UAW is trying to organize the 5,200-worker Canton plant. Employees have yet to file a petition for a union election.
In the meantime, the union is trying to push the Japanese automaker to campaign among workers inside the plant without company interference. Nissan, which opposes a union, has refused and says it's not violating worker rights.
A number of outside groups have joined the union's push, casting it as a civil rights issue.
The UAW lost a vote at a Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., even after the company tacitly supported the union.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Aldermen pass amended alcohol ordinance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Princess owner plans to reopen theater COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY