March 24, 2014 10:26:57 AM
A blown transformer behind the Trotter Convention Center caused a minor fire Saturday and shut down power to several businesses on Fifth Street.
Columbus Fire and Rescue was dispatched to the alleyway at 2:26 p.m. and was able to quickly extinguish the minor blaze in approximately an hour, CF&R spokesman Anthony Colom said.
Crews from Columbus Light and Water were still working on repairing the device Monday morning. Power to the area was still down Sunday but has been since restored to most of the businesses affected.
The incident filled the downtown area with white smoke, according to witnesses.
Rob Swindol, the owner of The Elbow Room, was not downtown when the transformer blew. But he arrived not long after. Crews with Columbus Fire & Rescue were on the scene and apparently worked quickly, Swindol said. Within 30 minutes of him arriving, power at The Elbow Room was back up and running.
Nathan Gregory covers city and county government for The Dispatch.
1. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen appoint longtime volunteer to school board STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY