March 26, 2014 10:23:17 AM
JACKSON -- A Mississippi Senate panel is endorsing all six members of the state's first charter school governing board.
The Education Committee voted Tuesday to recommend that the full Senate confirm the six. They have been serving since last summer, since three were nominated by the governor and three by the lieutenant governor.
The 52-member Senate will consider the confirmations this week or next.
The board chairman is attorney Tommie Cardin of Clinton. The other members are Ocean Springs Schools Superintendent Bonita Coleman-Porter, teacher Krystal Cormack of Clarksdale, businesswoman Karen Elam of Oxford, former gubernatorial education adviser Johnny Franklin of Bolton and real estate agent Chris Wilson of Laurel.
Charter schools are funded by tax dollars but are free from some regulations that govern other public schools.
1. Sunday morning wreck claims three lives COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY