March 26, 2014 10:23:50 AM
A Columbus woman has been arrested for embezzling from a local apartment complex.
Amy Burke, 38, of 2651 Honnoll Mill Road in Caledonia, was arrested last week by officers with the Columbus Police Department and charged with one count of embezzlement.
Officers responded to Falcon Lair Apartment Complex last week in reference to stolen checks, according to the police department's criminal investigations secretary Latasha Key.
Key said the current complex's manager claimed Burke, a former manager, embezzled an undetermined amount of money from tenants. Investigators believe Burke took tenants' rent payments and then converted the funds into personal money orders.
Burke worked at Falcon Lair for 12 years, Key said. She was arrested at her home and received a bond of $5,000. Her next court date is set for June 19.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch. Follow her on Twitter @FowlerSarah
1. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Jurors hear 911 tape as Quinn murder trial begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY