March 26, 2014 10:23:50 AM
Oktibbeha County Humane Society announced it will receive a $5,000 state grant to offset its pet spay and neuter programs for low income families.
The grant is funded through "I Care for Animals" car tag purchases, which provide monies for statewide animal shelters and humane organizations. The program is in its 10th year of service and has assisted more than 60 Mississippi organizations.
This year marks the third time in five years OCHS received grant funding from the program.
The money will help for half of the costs required to spay or neuter a pet, OCHS spokesperson Martha Thomas said. Pet owners pay for the remaining amount.
The $5,000 grant should cover costs for 83 procedures, she said. Annually, OCHS facilitates approximately 150 spay or neuter surgeries each year for community members who otherwise would not be able to afford the procedure.
Each shelter animal is spayed or neutered prior to adoption.
"This service provides such a huge impact for our community not only by financially assisting pet owners, but also by helping decrease pet overpopulation," Thomas said.
OCHS also won last year's inaugural Starkville Restaurant Week charity competition, which awarded the organization $5,000. That donation was used to offset other shelter costs.
"I Care for Animals" specialty license plates are available for purchase at county courthouses across Mississippi.
Those interested in volunteering at or adopting from OCHS can call the organization at (662) 338-9093 or email email@example.com.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Father of woman charged with providing New Hope teen alcohol speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Hilton: Hospital report filled with misleading data STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Charlie Burgin, local singing legend, dies at age 69 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Accident leads to numerous charges for Starkville man STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. City hires public defender for Municipal Court COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY