April 1, 2014 10:38:33 AM
A teenager has been arrested for making false bomb threats.
Lowndes County Sheriff's Department Chief Deputy Marc Miley said the boy was arrested Friday for making false bomb threats at Columbus Middle School. Miley would not elaborate further citing an ongoing an investigation. Miley said the teenager was charged through youth court.
Miley would not release the boy's name because he is a juvenile.
Before Friday's arrest, four false bomb threats had been made at Columbus Middle School during the 2013-2014 school year.
Monday afternoon, a new threat was discovered on the girl's bathroom wall. Deputy Superintendent Craig Shannon said school officials first saw the threat as school was getting out for the day. School dismissed as usual while the sheriff's department, Mississippi Highway Patrol and the Federal Bureau of Investigation responded to the scene. A bomb dog searched the exterior and interior of the building and declared it clear, Shannon said.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS