April 2, 2014 10:48:38 AM
LEXINGTON -- Holmes County deputies are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who was reportedly attacked by two pit bulls at his home in the Thornton community.
Sheriff Willie March says Christopher Malone was playing behind a mobile home in the Thornton community Monday near a pen where the two dogs were allegedly locked up. March says the dogs managed to get out and attacked the boy. The boy died at the scene.
March says the boy's mother was treated for injuries she suffered when she tried to get the dogs off the child.
He says the dogs were taken away by animal control officers.
Thornton is about 10 miles southwest of Tchula and 16 miles west of Lexington, the county seat.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hitting the road: Bulldog fans pour into OKC for tonight's Sweet 16 matchup against Washington STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Bond denied for O-Kay Foods shooting suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY