April 2, 2014 10:48:38 AM
LEXINGTON -- Holmes County deputies are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who was reportedly attacked by two pit bulls at his home in the Thornton community.
Sheriff Willie March says Christopher Malone was playing behind a mobile home in the Thornton community Monday near a pen where the two dogs were allegedly locked up. March says the dogs managed to get out and attacked the boy. The boy died at the scene.
March says the boy's mother was treated for injuries she suffered when she tried to get the dogs off the child.
He says the dogs were taken away by animal control officers.
Thornton is about 10 miles southwest of Tchula and 16 miles west of Lexington, the county seat.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY