April 2, 2014 10:49:52 AM
Starkville Police Department arrested 18-year-old Deangelo Dewayne Manning, of 406 Hancock Circle, Monday after a March 27 burglary incident in which he allegedly broke into a Catherine Street home and attacked its residents with a knife.
Manning turned himself in peacefully at 4:30 p.m. Monday, according to a SPD release, and was incarcerated at Oktibbeha County Jail. His bond was set at $20,000.
SPD previously issued a warrant for Manning's arrest after an Oct. 31 drive-by shooting occurred in the Henderson Hill area. Numerous shots were fired in the area as bystanders were present that night, but no injuries were reported. Several vehicles were damaged in the incident.
SPD Chief Frank Nichols previously told The Dispatch that Manning gave a statement to officers that implicated another suspect in the shooting, and charges were not filed against him. That incident, the police chief said, is still under investigation.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Mickens takes on ex-opponent during town hall COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY