April 3, 2014 11:02:45 AM
LEXINGTON, Miss. -- The Holmes County sheriff wants to ban pit bulls days after a family's dogs killed a 3-year-old boy.
Christopher Malone's mother found his body late Monday afternoon behind the family's Holmes County home.
Two dogs were taken by animal control officers. The dogs are being housed at a local veterinarian's office. Sheriff Willie March is seeking an order from a judge to have the dogs euthanized.
March tells WAPT TV there could be criminal charges in connection with the case.
Pit bulls have been banned in the town of Lexington, but no ban is in effect in the county where the attack took place.
Because of that, March said he will propose to county leaders Monday that they ban pit bulls.
1. CMSD releases further information on superintendent candidates COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Photos: Budweiser Clydesdales in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Air Force base set to host air show COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. More Highway 12 work begins STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY