April 5, 2014 8:20:26 PM
Starkville School District officials reacted with grief Saturday upon learning of the death of Keyone Docher, accompanist for the SHS Singers. Docher died Friday evening while on a trip with several SHS Singers who were selected to perform with Mississippi's All State Honor Choir in Hattiesburg, according to a press release from the district.
A talented pianist, Mr. Docher first learned to play from SHS Choral Director Regina Weeks as part of his Make-A-Wish dream as he battled a rare type of cancer of the sinus cavity during his childhood. The intense treatments damaged his throat, and it was difficult for him to speak or talk, but his incredible spirit and unwavering faith inspired all who knew him, especially his SHS family. Mr. Docher joined the SHS family in August, and he had tremendous influence in a very short time among his students. The SHS Singers performed a vocal concert this morning with the All State Honor Choir dedicated to Mr. Docher.
SHS will offer grief counseling to its students upon their return to school.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Local man charged in Holly Hills death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY