April 5, 2014 8:20:26 PM
Starkville School District officials reacted with grief Saturday upon learning of the death of Keyone Docher, accompanist for the SHS Singers. Docher died Friday evening while on a trip with several SHS Singers who were selected to perform with Mississippi's All State Honor Choir in Hattiesburg, according to a press release from the district.
A talented pianist, Mr. Docher first learned to play from SHS Choral Director Regina Weeks as part of his Make-A-Wish dream as he battled a rare type of cancer of the sinus cavity during his childhood. The intense treatments damaged his throat, and it was difficult for him to speak or talk, but his incredible spirit and unwavering faith inspired all who knew him, especially his SHS family. Mr. Docher joined the SHS family in August, and he had tremendous influence in a very short time among his students. The SHS Singers performed a vocal concert this morning with the All State Honor Choir dedicated to Mr. Docher.
SHS will offer grief counseling to its students upon their return to school.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS