April 9, 2014 11:15:16 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A Clay County woman has been charged with capital murder in the death of her infant son.
Brittania Smith, 24, was arrested Tuesday for giving her 2-month-old son Brinston Smith a "lethal dose" of codeine, according to a press release issued by the Clay County Sheriff's Department. Smith was arrested after an autopsy performed by the Mississippi Crime Lab ruled that the infant's death was a homicide.
The child died on Dec. 20, according to Sheriff Eddie Scott.
The incident began as a 911 call for a report of a child not breathing. Ambulances responded to the scene and the infant was taken to North Mississippi Medical Center in West Point, where he was pronounced dead, Scott said.
Authorities say the codeine allegedly used in the incident was obtained through a prescription. Scott declined to comment on who the prescription was for. The capital murder charge Smith faces is tied to felony child abuse and neglect, the sheriff said.
Smith, who has two other young children, was arraigned Wednesday afternoon. She was denied bond. She is currently in the custody at the Clay County Jail.
Scott said he expects the case to be presented to the grand jury today or Friday. Scott believes Smith will be indicted but said "whether it will be on capital murder we don't know."
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Man killed in Thanksgiving shooting outside Trotter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Council suspends CPD officer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man arrested for sex with 13-year-old STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Getting back to normal: One of MSU's most recognizable faces opens up about his fight with cancer STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY