April 14, 2014 10:03:49 AM
East Mississippi Community College will be hosting a camp this summer for high school students interested in manufacturing.
Camp AMP, which stands for Advanced Manufacturing Professionals, will be hosted at EMCC's Mayhew campus for students in seventh through 12th grades.
In a press release issued by the college, Susan Baird, assistant dean in EMCC's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering Division, encouraged students to attend the camp,.
"Camp AMP is the perfect opportunity for both middle and high school students to be exposed to what awaits them in the real world," she said. "Unfortunately, most secondary students do not realize how many job opportunities are available to them right here in their own back yard. Camp AMP will provide both industry tours and hands-on skills training for students so that they may gain a better understanding of the technology that is involved in the advanced manufacturing companies in our area."
Students will learn about computer-aided design, 3-D printing and rapid prototyping. They will also take tours of local industries.
The camp begins June 2 but interested students must register by May 2.
According to the release, Camp AMP for seventh- and eighth-graders will run June 2-6. Ninth- and 10th-graders will attend June 9-13 while 11th- and 12th-graders will attend June 16-20.
Registration is $25.
For more information, call Susan Baird at 662-243-2686 or email email@example.com.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY