April 15, 2014 11:12:35 AM
A Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesperson identified Sunday's hit-and-run fatality as 25-year-old Cason Bryant Park, a former US Marine of Gordo, Ala.
Cason was struck from behind by an unknown vehicle about 4 a.m. Sunday on U.S. Highway 82 near Center Grove. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt.
Park apparently had left the vehicle he was driving, a Chevrolet Impala registered to a family member, with its hazard lights flashing and walked about a quarter-mile west before being struck. The unknown vehicle then left the scene.
Investigators believe it was a silver vehicle that struck Cason, based on the scene. The vehicle is believed to have damage to its front left and left sides, and the windshield might be broken.
Investigators said they were following the few leads provided from the incident and urged any members of the public with knowledge of the accident or that have seen a vehicle fitting the description to contact MHP at 662-323-5314 and ask for the accident reconstruction division.
"This young man was a Marine who fought for and served our country. It is only right to do what we can to solve this crime and bring the driver to justice," MHP's Troop G Twitter account posted Monday.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Four arrested for hotel robbery STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Teen arrested for holding two people at gunpoint STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. City contractor appointed to CLW board COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY