April 18, 2014 10:35:03 AM
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- A man who faced a $525 fine for refilling an 89-cent drink at a Veterans Affairs hospital apparently will get off with a warning.
When Christopher Lewis of North Charleston, S.C., refilled his drink without paying Wednesday, a federal police officer gave him a ticket. Lewis is a construction worker and says he never noticed the signs and has refilled his drink before without paying.
VA spokeswoman Tonya C. Lobbestael said the cafeteria at the center has signs posted in the drink machines indicating the cost of refills. Failing to pay for the refills is considered shoplifting.
1. Meth lab discovered in Lowndes County COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Oktibbeha supes sign off on Communiversity plan STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Airbus VP says future is bright in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Local church hopes to start food backpack program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. River Island Park hits funding snag COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY