April 18, 2014 10:35:03 AM
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- A man who faced a $525 fine for refilling an 89-cent drink at a Veterans Affairs hospital apparently will get off with a warning.
When Christopher Lewis of North Charleston, S.C., refilled his drink without paying Wednesday, a federal police officer gave him a ticket. Lewis is a construction worker and says he never noticed the signs and has refilled his drink before without paying.
VA spokeswoman Tonya C. Lobbestael said the cafeteria at the center has signs posted in the drink machines indicating the cost of refills. Failing to pay for the refills is considered shoplifting.
1. Mary Kay grant comes in nick of time for Safe Haven COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Welty Gala: Toobin touches on Supreme Court, Trump tweets and journalism COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus woman jailed on forgery charge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dist. 38 candidates face off in forum STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Living life in pink STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY