April 18, 2014 10:35:03 AM
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- A man who faced a $525 fine for refilling an 89-cent drink at a Veterans Affairs hospital apparently will get off with a warning.
When Christopher Lewis of North Charleston, S.C., refilled his drink without paying Wednesday, a federal police officer gave him a ticket. Lewis is a construction worker and says he never noticed the signs and has refilled his drink before without paying.
VA spokeswoman Tonya C. Lobbestael said the cafeteria at the center has signs posted in the drink machines indicating the cost of refills. Failing to pay for the refills is considered shoplifting.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY