April 18, 2014 10:35:03 AM
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- A man who faced a $525 fine for refilling an 89-cent drink at a Veterans Affairs hospital apparently will get off with a warning.
When Christopher Lewis of North Charleston, S.C., refilled his drink without paying Wednesday, a federal police officer gave him a ticket. Lewis is a construction worker and says he never noticed the signs and has refilled his drink before without paying.
VA spokeswoman Tonya C. Lobbestael said the cafeteria at the center has signs posted in the drink machines indicating the cost of refills. Failing to pay for the refills is considered shoplifting.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY