October 10, 2009 9:40:00 PM
Mitchell "Mickey" Wiggins, a longtime Lowndes County employee and former District 1 supervisor, died Saturday night at his home in Caledonia. He was 73.
Wiggins had a history of heart problems, Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant said.
"He had a heart condition, and a couple of heart surgeries, and this was a continuation of his heart disease," Merchant said.
Wiggins was a longtime county road department employee when he defeated Harry Sanders for District 1 supervisor by 151 votes in 1995. In 1999, Sanders defeated Wiggins to reclaim the seat, which he currently holds.
Wiggins was retired, Merchant said.
Mark commented at 10/11/2009 9:33:00 AM:
This article doesn't state that Mickey was one of the founding fathers of the Caledonia Area Fire Department.His dedication was instrumental in making the Dept what it is today.
Rest in peace, Mickey. You will be missed.
gregorydavis commented at 10/11/2009 5:29:00 PM:
you will br missed dearly sir! I remember this gentleman from my childhood. Life has changed and the times in lowndes county
Frank Howell commented at 10/11/2009 5:41:00 PM:
Mickey was a gentleman all his life. He was especially helpful of others, and was an avid supporter of the community, his church, and Caledonia school. I will always be indebted to him for his assistance to my parents with their garden, etc. when he was farming adjoining property.
Charlie commented at 10/12/2009 11:23:00 AM:
Mickey will be missed.
HK commented at 10/12/2009 12:09:00 PM:
He always had a smile on his face and a kind word. He will be missed.
1. Police release more details on cold case murder arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Defendant shows up to court high COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Having a voice: Tyler Edmonds seeks compensation from Mississippi for three years he spent in prison COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cold case arrest brings closure to family COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man accused of stealing meat from Sunflower found not guilty COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY