April 22, 2014 9:54:01 AM
MCCOMB -- The State Auditor's office is continuing to investigate the alleged embezzlement of public money by Magnolia's former city grounds and street keeper.
Special Agent David Oubre tells The Enterprise-Journal investigators are contacting witnesses and collecting evidence about allegations against Willie Bowen.
The city fired Bowen in February after learning that he allegedly kept $51.51 from recycling cans that he and work-release inmates picked up from city roadsides in January.
Oubre said he has not yet interviewed Bowen.
It is unclear if Bowen has an attorney.
The Associated Press could not reach Bowen for comment Sunday because there is no telephone listing for him in Magnolia.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY