April 25, 2014 10:18:10 AM
CLEVELAND -- Joan Rivers refuses to apologize for comparing living in her daughter's guest room with the captivity of three women kidnapped in Cleveland.
Rivers and her daughter discussed their reality show Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show and she complained about her living arrangements, saying, "Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space."
In a statement sent to The Associated Press by her publicist, Rivers says it was a joke she made as a comedian. She says the women are free and people should move on. She says she's "thrilled they are OK."
A statement from attorneys for Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus had called Rivers' remark hurtful and said she should apologize.
Berry, DeJesus and a third woman escaped from kidnapper Ariel Castro's home last year.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY