April 26, 2014 9:58:07 PM
OXFORD -- The families that own The Oxford Eagle say they have reached an agreement to sell the nearly 150-year-old newspaper.
The newspaper reported Friday the Phillips and Vasilyev families of Oxford are selling the paper to subsidiaries of Boone Newspapers Inc. Terms were not disclosed.
Oxford Newsmedia LLC and Carpenter Newsmedia LLC will publish The Oxford Eagle, its website and affiliated publications, according to Boone and the current owners.
Boone has offices in Natchez and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
It owns 45 newspapers as well as magazines, shopping guides and websites in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Minnesota, Ohio and Michigan.
In Mississippi, Boone owns The Picayune Item, The Vicksburg Post, The Natchez Democrat and The Brookhaven Daily Leader.
The Oxford Eagle was founded in 1865. It publishes Monday through Friday.
1. SPED parent speaks at school board meeting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police chief retiring at year's end COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local toy drives, fundraisers still short of goals COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Commission delays decision on Lipscomb House demolition COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County OKs franchise agreement with MaxxSouth STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY