April 26, 2014 9:58:07 PM
OXFORD -- The families that own The Oxford Eagle say they have reached an agreement to sell the nearly 150-year-old newspaper.
The newspaper reported Friday the Phillips and Vasilyev families of Oxford are selling the paper to subsidiaries of Boone Newspapers Inc. Terms were not disclosed.
Oxford Newsmedia LLC and Carpenter Newsmedia LLC will publish The Oxford Eagle, its website and affiliated publications, according to Boone and the current owners.
Boone has offices in Natchez and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
It owns 45 newspapers as well as magazines, shopping guides and websites in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Minnesota, Ohio and Michigan.
In Mississippi, Boone owns The Picayune Item, The Vicksburg Post, The Natchez Democrat and The Brookhaven Daily Leader.
The Oxford Eagle was founded in 1865. It publishes Monday through Friday.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY