April 26, 2014 9:58:07 PM
OXFORD -- The families that own The Oxford Eagle say they have reached an agreement to sell the nearly 150-year-old newspaper.
The newspaper reported Friday the Phillips and Vasilyev families of Oxford are selling the paper to subsidiaries of Boone Newspapers Inc. Terms were not disclosed.
Oxford Newsmedia LLC and Carpenter Newsmedia LLC will publish The Oxford Eagle, its website and affiliated publications, according to Boone and the current owners.
Boone has offices in Natchez and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
It owns 45 newspapers as well as magazines, shopping guides and websites in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Minnesota, Ohio and Michigan.
In Mississippi, Boone owns The Picayune Item, The Vicksburg Post, The Natchez Democrat and The Brookhaven Daily Leader.
The Oxford Eagle was founded in 1865. It publishes Monday through Friday.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY