April 28, 2014 9:31:18 AM
NEW ORLEANS -- The future of Mississippi's only abortion clinic soon will be up to a federal appeals court.
At issue today before the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans is a 2012 Mississippi law requiring any physician who does abortions at a clinic to have admitting privileges at a local hospital. Jackson Women's Health Organization has been unable to obtain them.
A federal district judge let the law take effect in July 2012, after the clinic sued the state. But he blocked the state from closing the clinic while it tried to comply. The clinic remains open.
In late March, the 5th Circuit upheld a Texas law that requires admitting privileges.
1. Starkville Walmart murder suspect had criminal history STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Second child involved in Sunday wreck dies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Caledonia boy, grandmother die in wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Officer fired for pointing gun at subdued suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Architectural plans in place for downtown hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY